no version information available

Thomas Haller thaller at redhat.com
Wed May 20 10:09:42 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-05-20 at 14:30 +0100, John Whitmore wrote:
> I'm trying to use libnl as part of NetworkManager and getting an error message
> from it:
>
> /usr/sbin/NetworkManager: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libnl-genl-3.so.200: no version information available (required by /usr/sbin/NetworkManager)
> /usr/sbin/NetworkManager: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libnl-3.so.200: no version information available (required by /usr/sbin/NetworkManager)
> /usr/sbin/NetworkManager: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libnl-route-3.so.200: no version information available (required by /usr/sbin/NetworkManager)
>

> This is on a RaspberryPi 2 and have installed libnl-3.2.25 from source. I
> asked on the NetworkManager List and was told that some versions of libnl
> worked and some didn't but that seems a bit weird to say the lease. I wonder
> if somebody could explain what I've missed in my build process. I've just
> configured with --prefix=/usr
>
> I've looked at the other config options but nothing jumps out at me. Any
> pointers would be gratefully received.
>
> John

does
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/137773/what-does-the-no-version-information-available-error-from-linux-dynamic-linker
help?

What gives
  ldd /usr/sbin/NetworkManager

Are you actually using the correct library?

For testing, you can tell the linker to find the library in another
directory by setting
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libnl

Thomas