Question: Permissions required for running in Android in System user mode

Adithya Prakash adithya.prakash at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:57:33 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am calling a few libnl API's to send a vendor specific command which
queries the properties of the current WiFi P2P connection (like
frequency, mode etc).

The code sets few callback functions and sends the command message
using libnl API's and waits for the callback function to be called
with the property parameters.

Question: When I run my code as a ROOT user, This works fine and I get
the callback with the properties of the connection. But when I run my
code as a SYSTEM user, which is the actual end use case, I dont get
the callback. Any suggestions what changes are needed when the user
group changes?

Context: This is a C++ code written as a standalone command line unit
test to verify this feature and is run on Android L.

Other points:

All SELinux permissions have already been provided. I have also tried
running this in permissive mode.

Some debugging appears to hint that the user space to kernel
communication is not taking place after sending the command message.
Not 100% sure, but likely issue.

If you have any insight into this and can provide some pointers, that
would be very helpful. Thanks!

Regards,
Adithya