rtnl_link_vlan_add() and rtnl_link_bridge_add() ?

Thomas Graf tgraf at suug.ch
Fri Oct 19 07:59:40 EDT 2012

On 10/19/12 at 07:52am, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> > On 10/05/12 at 01:41pm, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > I'm looking at the documentation, and I see the following
> > > functions:
> > >
> > > rtnl_link_bridge_add()
> > >
> > > It is very convenient but I can't find the counterpart for bridges
> > > and bonds.
> >
> > Patches are very welcome. I'm planning to add this if nobody beats
> > me to it.
>
> I will have them in NetworkManager anyway, for compatibility and will poke
> you when I'm merging them.

Not sure what this means. One of the reasons this hasn't progressed
lately is because the kernel interface is still being discussed. It
would be nice to directly return a link object when adding a new
interface in order for the caller to not having to go through the
hassle of identifying the interface that was just created. This is
especially desirable if the kernel is put in charge of creating the
interface name.