Fwd: libnl python bindings

Марк Коренберг socketpair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 20:01:52 EDT 2012

05.10.2012, в 2:51, Antoni Segura Puimedon <asegurap at redhat.com> написал(а):

> Hello Марк,
>
> I was today discussing with Thomas Graf the python bindings of libnl and he
> told me that he passed you the control of that part of libnl. Looking at your
> github page, I saw that you just finished refactoring a ctypes based libnl
> wrapper.
Yes, exactly.

> My question are the following: Is there gonna be any extra effort going into
> Thomas' swig based python bindings? Are you going to submit the new ctypes for
> inclusion in libnl as a drop in replacement? Do you have some documentation of
> the python API you are aiming for?
1. Yes, I will patch swig if needed until ctypes binding become ready.
Original swig binding contain many trivial errors and sometimes non python-way api. I tried to fix that, but discovered problem with pypy as it is not compatible well with swig. So I decide to write new one using ctypes.

2. Yes, when ctypes binding will be ready, I will replace swig with ctypes. But drop-in replacement will not be guaranteed, as the api will change.

3. No, i have no documentation yet. Architecture changes somewhat. I'm trying to write api both thin and pythonic at the same time. I mean generators instead of get_first + get_next, automatic destruction and object dependency tracking, and so on. I appreciate any help, so it will be nice if you review my work.  If you want I to implement some of features just for you - please ask me.