Blocking unicast calls

Yves Langisch yves at langisch.ch
Tue Oct 26 08:42:27 EDT 2010

Hi,

I have a kernel module that acts as a Generic Netlink server. In the
user space I have a daemon which receives Netlink unicast messages from
the kernel module using the libnl library.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to send a Netlink message in a
blocking manner and to get a direct result back from the daemon? As far
as I understand the Netlink concept it is a bus-like system and thus I'm
not sure if it's possible at all.

Currently my call to send the message to the user space is as follows:

rc = genlmsg_unicast(skb, daemon_pid);

Thanks
Yves