Tunnel creation via libnl

Dennis Schridde devurandom at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 07:14:31 EDT 2009

Am Montag, 20. Juli 2009 12:07:16 schrieb Thomas Graf:
> Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation.
>
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 09:12:23AM +0200, Dennis Schridde wrote:
> > I would like to know whether it is possible to create a tunnel interface
> > via libnl/netlink.
> >
> It is possible but there are no APIs yet. The kernel provides a way to
> create/update/delete tunnels via the RTM_(NEW|DEL|SET)LINK commands but
> libnl has only implemented RTM_SETLINK so far therefore you would have
> to construct the netlink messages yourself.
Is it possible to implement that quickly?
I was quite happy that I found a way to implement my tunnel program without
having to parse iproute's output, or constructing netlink messages myself.
(And I have no experience with the latter yet.)
Thus, if it is not too complex or fragile, it would be nice to get a libnl
patch.

Greetings and thanks,
Dennis